- April 2021 total coal and coke imports at 23.261 million Metric Tons (MMT) have seen a sharp bounce back of 35.57% over April 2020 import figure of 17.159 MMT and 14.49% higher than 20.37 MMT imported in Mar 2021.
- Pet coke imports continue falling. They contracted by 64.84% to 0.296 MMT in April 2021 from 0.842 MMT in April 2020. There was a 35.20% contraction M-o-M from 0.457 MMT imported in Mar 2021.
- What was pet coke’s loss was thermal coal’s gain. Thermal coal imports in April were at 16.239 MMT a growth of 40.10% over the 11.591 MMT imported last April 2020 and a 26.31% growth over the 12.856 MMT imported in Mar 2021.
- Coking coal imports continued at their elevated level but a slight deceleration. April 2021 saw 4.747 MMT being imported, a growth of 31.36% over the 3.614 MMT imported in April 2020. But a 9.97% contraction from the 5.273 MMT imported in Mar 2021.
- In the first 4 months of 2021, thermal coal imports are down by 9.79%% at 52.982 MMT as compared to 58.731 MMT in the first 4 months 2020. But Coking coal imports are up by 27.73% at 19.983 MMT as compared to 15.645 MMT in the same period of 2020.
- April 2021 witnessed a smart bounce back of thermal coal arrivals from Indonesia, which continues to be the main stay of Indian coal imports. Thermal coal arrivals from Indonesia grew 54.66% to 9.873 MMT as compared to 6.384 MMT in April 2020. April 2021 arrivals were also 46.93% higher than the 6.72 MMT that arrived in Mar 2021.
- Arrivals from the USA have also been strong in 2021 and April saw 1.74 MMT arriving which was a 116.40% rise from the 0.802 MMT that arrived in April 2020. April arrival were also 16.51% higher than the 1.49 MMT that arrived in Mar 2021.
- Imports from Australia steadied in April 2021 at the 1.42 MMT mark which is slight contraction of 0.53% from the Mar 2021 level of 1.427 MMT.
- However, thermal coal arrivals from Australia are growing in market share. Australian thermal coal accounted for 4.44% market share in Calendar 2020 with 7.01 MMT of imports. In the first 4 months of 2021 Australia’s thermal coal imports aggregate 7.20 MMT and account for 13.6% of India’s theral coal imports.
- US coal arrivals into India peaked at 12.47 MMT in CY 2018 and accounted for 7.3% of market share of thermal coal imports. In 2021, in 4 months US coal arrival are at 4.94 MMT accounting for 9.32% of thermal coal imports.
Monthly Report April
Send download link to:
This analysis has been compiled by obtaining data from Iman Resources’ sources.
© Iman Resources. Republishing permitted with credit