- Mar 2021 total coal and coke imports at 20.474 million Metric Tons (MMT) have seen a 6.54% fall over Mar 2020 import figure of 21.906 MMT but is 27.94% higher than 16.003 MMT imported in Feb 2021.
- Thermal coal imports contracted by 14.19% to 12.911 MMT from 15.046 MMT in Mar 2020 but are 31.86 higher than the 9.791 MMT imported in Feb 2021.
- Petcoke imports saw a sharper contraction of 47.53% at 0.490 MMT in Mar 2021 as compared to 0.933 MMT in Mar 2020.
- Coking coal imports continue to remain strong in March with imports at 5.344 MMT up 30.21% as compared to 4.104 MMT imported in Mar 2020. However, coking coal has also lost some momentum since December 2020 5.569 MMT and 5.165 MMT in Jan 2021.
- In the first quarter of 2021, thermal coal imports are down by 21.94% at 36.798 MMT as compared to 47.140 MMT in Q1 2020. But Coking coal imports are up by 27.23% at 15.308 MMT as compared to 12.031 MMT in Q1 2020.
- The restrictions imposed by China on imports of Australian coal continue and as a result some price distortions in the market also continue. As a result Indonesian prices surged whilst Australian origin coal prices remained soft.
- This led to a reduction in India’s imports of Indonesian origin coal. And a surge in Australian coal imports., albeit the surge has moderated as compared to Feb 2021.
- In the first 3 months of 2021 Indonesian thermal coal imports contracted by 28.35% to 20.06 MMT down from the 27.99 MMT imported in Q1 2020.
- Australian thermal coal imports surged by almost 278.50% to 5.78 MMT from 1.53 MMT imported in Q1 2020.
IMAN Monthly Report March 2021
Send download link to:
This analysis has been compiled by obtaining data from Iman Resources’ sources.
© Iman Resources. Republishing permitted with credit